300g nettles tops
1tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, finely sliced
35g hazelnuts, toasted, chopped
250g Filo pastry
- Heat oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 5
- Wearing gloves thoroughly wash nettles and discard of tough stalks
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add nettles and blanch for a few minutes. Drain, squeeze excess water and finely chop.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add cumin and fry for a couple of minutes. Add chopped onion and fry for 10 minutes. Add thyme, nettles, cheese and nuts and gently combine. Season with lemon, salt, pepper and add eggs.
- Melt butter and brush on to sheets of pastry layered on an oven proof dish until you have used all the pastry. Put nettle mixture in the middle, fold pastry over and butter seams and top.
- Dab butter on top and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden
Recipe inspired by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstal recipe